Sunday, March 21, 2010

My 2 cents to goodness

As like anybody, I keep creebing about the current state of affair. Incidentally this is what my parents use to do and do it still. For a change, I did come out of my coccoon and tried to contibute with my overdue share of social duty. I played volunteer for a group called "Green Corridor". These guys are bunch of people in infosys who interact with nearby villages and try to solve their problems within their limited means.They do it on their own without any organization or govermnet support. It is indeed commendable. I beleieve these are genuine catalyst of changes.

We started on one fine sunday on a village trip called kapuskheda some 150 kms away from bangalore. I was bit nervous and excited as this was my first foray into such social adventure. We reached villaige's primary school hour before noon. We were well greeted by sirpunch and other wise men from villages. There was air of anticipation hope and i can see cheer all around me. This was for a reason as we have brought computer for the village school.as soon as it was set up and start blinking there was round of applause and poja done in old traditional way. Computer was then handed over to local computer teacher. As next action item, we called upon all youths and their gathering was addressed by "Unnati" (NGO who helps imparitng skill to rural India)representative. We have engaged them to help people of village get job as per their skill set. This was well received and then we had a good filling lunch. We talked to womesn of village and explained them some small acale industires option that could bring additional revenuw to household.
It was not a bad bargain considering that I received more than i could have possibly given. They treated us like a big time leader, offered us coconut water and discussed their problem. Within no time they arranged for a simple and delcius south indian village food. It was stimulating for the taste buds. Also, I explored the countery side and it's scenic views and long drive out of city's hustle and bustle.
Cheery to the cake was that place was not reachable through cell phone which means i was not contactable to my wife and you can well understand what it means..

No comments:

Post a Comment